For wireless scanning on Windows most people use Netstumbler, however this app has not been updated for several years now. However a new app named Vistumbler is available for Vista – see the website: http://vistumbler.sourceforge.net for more and to download.
Some of the features:
- Find Wireless access points – Uses the Vista command ‘netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid’ to get wireless information
- GPS Support
- Export/Import access points from Vistumbler TXT/VS1/VSZ or Netstumbler TXT/Text NS1
- Export access point GPS locations to a google earth kml file
- Live Google Earth Tracking – Auto KML automatically shows access points in google earth.
- Speaks Signal Strength using sound files, windows sound api, or MIDI
- Open Source ( AutoIt Scripting Language – http://www.autoitscript.com )